In case you missed it see what’s in this section
As National Pie Week is almost upon us, why not try one of Demuth's delicious recipes of the popular Spanish pie.
- 225g bread flour
- 110g medium cornmeal (fine polenta)
- 100ml white wine
- 25g melted butter or vegan margarine
- 55ml warm milk or soya milk
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 green pepper, sliced
- 1 red onion, sliced
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- ½ tsp smoked paprika
- 1x400g tin chickpeas or butterbeans
- 50g pitted black olives, chopped
- 2 tomatoes, finely chopped
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- A small handful of parsley, chopped
- salt and pepper
- Olive oil or beaten egg to glaze the pastry
- First make the dough. Mix all the dough ingredients together and form into a soft ball and knead well for a couple of minutes.
- Leave to rest for 20 minutes, wrapped in cling film in the fridge.
- Heat a frying pan, add the olive oil and fry the peppers and onion for 10 minutes until soft. Add the garlic and smoked paprika and gently fry for 5 minutes. Add the chickpeas, olives and chopped tomatoes and cook for another 5 minutes until the mixture is dry. Add lemon juice, parsley and season to taste with salt and pepper. Transfer the filling to a bowl and leave to cool.
- Preheat the oven to 200C/180CFan/Gas 6.
- Line a baking tray with baking parchment.
- On a lightly floured surface, divide the dough into 8 balls and roll them into 15 cm circles. Put 2 tablespoons of the filling mix into each circle, pull up the sides into a half moon pasty shape and pinch the edges to seal. Use a little water around the edges to help them stick if needed.
- Brush with olive oil or egg wash and bake in the preheated oven for 15 minutes until golden.
For more recipes visit Demuth's website here.