Cadbury Christmas Leaderboard Ad

Let's Talk

Your Total Guide To sport

Insert Your Logo (Blank Sponsor)

MATCH REPORT: Swindon Town (3) v (1) Hartlepool United

Four second-half goals lifted the County Ground into life as Swindon Town survived a momentary comeback from Hartlepool United to secure their second home win of the season and extend their 100% November win record. Total Sport Swindon’s Ryan Walker gives his match report from SN1.

Chances were few and far between during the opening passages of play as Swindon Town started brightly in attack but struggled to find the final ball that was needed as Hartlepool remained calm and composed in defence.

Louis Reed was perfectly positioned to test Harts keeper Ben Killip from 30-yards out but watched on as his free-kick was fired into the wall.

Harry McKirdy threatened to mark his return to the matchday squad with a close-range shot that forced a save from Ben Killip in the 16th minute, before United created a chance of their own moments later as Neil Byrne’s shot was well-saved by Wollacott.

Ellis Iandolo spurned promising opportunities for the hosts as a catalogue of crosses failed to find their desired targets, despite the attacking wing-back enjoying lots of the ball on the wing.

Hartlepool seemed to have opened the scoring in the 28th minute as striker Mark Cullen rounded off a counter-attacking move as he tapped in from close-range. However despite a long wait, the linesman eventually raised his flag as the attacker was given offside.

Louis Reed and Jonny Williams attempted to ope the scoring with shots from range as Swindon attempted to break the deadlock, whilst Hartlepool fashioned rare attacks without ever appearing to test the Swindon defenders as the game remained goalless at half-time.

Jonny Williams gave Town the lead in the 51st minute as his bullet header from a McKirdy cross left Killip rooted to his spot between the sticks. However Swindon’s lead lasted just nine minutes as Matty Daly responded with a powerful strike from the centre of the box to equalise having hit the bar seconds earlier.

Swindon looked shaken as they gifted Hartlepool the ball close to Wollacott’s goal with Daly, Crawford, and Molyneaux all threatening with efforts on target.

However, Tyreece Simpson put the Robins back in front with a goal against the run of play after forcing his way through a host of Hartlepool defenders to score his 8th goal of the season after latching onto a chipped ball from Jack Payne.

The goal appeared to have deflated Hartlepool who having attacked well throughout the second-half failed to rally as Swindon’s lead hung in the balance. 

Swindon looked set to see out the game comfortably as Ben Garner’s side kept the ball under no pressure before Jack Payne’s stoppage-time rocket gave the Robins a three-goal advantage and wrapped up three points at the County Ground for just the second time this season.

Swindon Town FC

Swindon Town Football Club

STFC are Swindon's top football team, based at The County Ground Stadium.

The County Ground, County Road, Swindon, Wiltshire , SN1 2ED

Wims11 Football Academy
Blunsdon Fitness+
Barnes Travel
Cotwold Outdoor (Affiliate)
Washbourne House
Break 90
David Lloyd Swindon
Bounce R Us
National Self Build & Renovation Centre (NSBRC)
STEAM Museum of the Great Western Railway
Dorcan Leaderboard Ad

Weather in Swindon