click here to find out what’s in this section
Swindon Travel Choices
A project to support the regeneration of Swindon Town Centre by promoting different travel choices to people who work in the town centre and live in the borough.
Swindon Borough Council won £4.8 million from the Department for Transport in 2011 to support the regeneration of Swindon town centre.
The project will make it easier to get around the local area without a car, and particularly encourage more people who work in the town centre to travel by walking, cycling or bus. As well as making some physical improvements, they are also improving the amount and availability of advice and information that can help people to make choices about how to travel.
Swindon Travel Choices Projects:
- Project 1: Personalised travel planning with major employers in the town centre
- Project 2: Personalised travel planning with West Swindon residents
- Project 3: Upgrade to an existing cycle route - the Western Flyer
- Project 4: Remove the physical barriers on Princes Street/Regents Circus
- SWIFT: In addition to these projects, work is ongoing with SWIFT. Swindon's Workplace Initiative for Transport is a forum for employers to discuss transport issues. They have regular meetings on transport themes and a variety of services are offered.
The overall project has been branded Swindon Travel Choices as it isn't about simply getting people out of their cars. It is also looking at the wide range of transport choices available and making it easier and more attractive for people to use non-car modes for getting around where they can.
Their website is a useful tool for planning journeys and finding out more about the travel choices available to you in and around Swindon.