Dorcan January Leaderboard Ad

Let's Talk

Your Total Guide To sport

Insert Your Logo (Blank Sponsor)
(Photo Credit - Robert Noyes)

MATCH REPORT | Swindon Town 0-1 Wrexham

Swindon needed an answer to their last three losses in a row, could they pull off a shock win or would we see a scoreline like Boxing Day 1963?

Swindon hosted Wrexham on Boxing Day and would be hoping for a Christmas miracle to get a vital three points that would see them climb out of the bottom half of the League Two table. 

First Half

Dan Kemp got the game underway and immediately both sides showed they were there for a fight. Kemp attempted to play in Jake Young but the ball was intercepted and Wrexham would counter with Elliot Lee having the first shot of the game within a minute. 

Lewis Ward remained in the Swindon goal after Murphy Mahoney’s injury last time out. The keeper was showing that he would not be taking risks, and had been firing everything up the pitch with a few going straight out for throw-ins. 

Swindon had started well but Wrexham had been controlling the game and with 13 minutes gone they showed why they are a promotion-pushing side. Williams Kokolo gave the ball up to James McClean who cleared Harrison Minturn before scoring to make it 1-0 Wrexham. 

The hosts attempted an immediate reply with Kemp having a go from range but Wrexham keeper Arthur Okonkwo was able to save. 

Following the goal not much happened as Wrexham were happy to sit back and allow Swindon the ball, the hosts had not been bad but just could not create any flow of attack. Shortly before the half-hour mark Remeao Huttons crossed into the area but the ball was just out of reach for Charlie Austin and Tyrese Shade. 

Shortly after that chance, Wrexham should have doubled their lead. Anthony Forde broke free down the right-hand side before playing in McClean but the Irishman's effort is scuffed and drifts wide of the post. 

During that attack George McEachran had picked up an injury that forced him off adding to Swindon's lengthy injury list, Tom Brewitt replaced him and immediately introduced himself by slicing through McClean and drawing a foul. 

Wrexham were piling on the pressure as the 40-minute mark approached, first Lee found some space and had a go from range narrowly missing the target, and then James Jones worked a nice one-two with Lee before pulling a shot wide. 

Despite another chance where Kokolo fired a cross onto the head of Young, Swindon had not created any real threat in the first half, which soon after drew to a close with Wrexham firmly in control. 

Second Half

Wrexham got the second half underway and almost found a second immediately a ball into the Swindon area fell to Cannon who had a certain goal in front of him but for a late block by Kokolo to keep the score at just one. 


Swindon had not started the second half well as Wrexham got in again just three minutes later. This time Lee was completely unmarked at the far post, but his headed effort was right at Ward who got the ball away from danger. 

Chances were few and far between for the hosts but a good chance to level the game came in the 56th minute. Kokolo’s cross into the box found Austin who tried to poke it through to Young, but the Wrexham defence managed to prevent the League's top scorer from getting a big chance. 

Ward was having some game in the Swindon goal and denied Wrexham the vital second goal. Forde’s ball into the head of Sam Dalby had the away fans already celebrating behind the goal but Ward pulled off a beautiful save down low to deny the killer goal. 

Swindon had been far from finding a goal and the attempted bicycle kick from Young in the 67th minute summed up Swindon’s game as he missed the ball completely. Just minutes later Kokolo pulled out his own showboat as he pulled off a flip-flap before shooting and seeing the ball fly closer to the corner flag than the goal.

Young had another chance not long after his shot was blocked by Ben Tozer. Less than a minute after the chance the visitors were down to ten. James Jones got his marching orders for a second bookable offence. 

The Swindon forward had been having chance after chance and as the game reached the 80th minute he had another huge chance. Substitute Jake Cain made a great run behind the Wrexham line and his cross via a deflection fell to Young who scuffed his chance at a potential equaliser. 

Swindon were pushing hard to score against the ten men. Young turned provider on a strong counter-attack, he made some space and found Khan but the midfielder wasted a fantastic chance as he missed the target entirely.  

It just was never going to fall for Swindon in the 92nd minute Young took advantage of some chaos at a corner and fired over Okonkwo but the crossbar denied him a certain goal. Next came Cain in the 94th minute his effort clattered off of a Wrexham defender but the keeper was there to save. 

Despite the late flurry of chances, Swindon would suffer a fourth successive defeat as they continue their slide down the League Two table.  


Be the first to comment on this article

Wims11 Football Academy
Barnes Travel
David Lloyd (Half Price Joining Fe - May Animated Ad)
DB Max: Race Timing & Multisport Events
Wrag Barn (Animated Ad)
Cotwold Outdoor (Affiliate)
Hall & Woodhouse
Smart Car UK
STEAM Museum of the Great Western Railway
Swindon Memorials

Weather in Swindon