We've joined forces with Marshfield Bakery to offer you the chance to win a box ...
Next: Saturday 4 November 2017
Self Build Course
This 3-day course from the National Self Build & Renovation Centre is aimed at those contemplating undertaking their first project. Whilst primarily aimed at novices, those who have already started or completed a project will undoubtedly find it useful too.
Covering 11 topics in total, the course takes the form of informal workshops and makes use of the superb practical exhibits available in the Centre to provide attendees with a level of knowledge which guarantees their projects will go more smoothly.
The first day will take you through the first steps of successful self building.
- Budgeting & Finance - This first session is dedicated to methods of raising finance and the importance of setting a budget and controlling costs throughout the project.
- Finding & Evaluating Land - Finding a building plot is never easy, but there are ways and means to find that elusive dream plot.
- Design & Specification - This session will look at how to get the best design for your dream home.
- Building Systems & Construction Methods - Using the fantastic life sized resources in the Centre, you will be taken on a comprehensive tour of the build process, covering everything from clearing and setting up your site, laying the foundations and options for building the superstructure and roof.
On the second day, the experts will move attendees on to the next stages of the self build processes.
- Planning Permission & Permitted Development - The Planning expert will explain the intricacies of the planning process, including the updated planning regulations and recent changes to permitted development rights.
- Building Regulations - The NSBRC's resident technical expert will explain about building control procedures and the importance of building regulations.
- Trades, Contracts & Tendering - A summary of the trades you will be hiring, when you’ll need them and what they do.
- Project Management & Site Set Up - Starting with the basic principles of managing the task and the people involved in your build, you'll look at setting budgets, basic contracting techniques, buying materials and site management.
Day three sees the speakers move on to discuss the eco and sustainability elements of self build projects.
- Eco Legislation - The NSBRC's eco expert will show you how to lessen the impact your project could have on the environment; he looks at the incentives available and drivers for using various eco technologies, comparative fuel costs and helps you understand how to calculate the payback terms. He’ll also consider the latest legislative requirements of the Code for Sustainable Homes, Passive House, SAP ratings, FITs & RHI, the Green Deal and other potential incentives.
- Eco Design, Planning & Management - This module will look at the relationship between different elements of the building to make sure they are designed, specified and installed to maximise their potential.
- Internal Services - An eco expert will discuss the usage of low-tech eco options in your new home.
Cost: £375 inc VAT
Included in the course are comprehensive course notes, a writing pad, a pen, buffet lunch, refreshments and the opportunity to speak to BuildStore advisors re finance, materials buying, land and project finding.
Accommodation is not included in the course costs, but is available locally if required, with Premier Travel Inn, Hilton National and Holiday Inn Express hotels all situated within a few minutes’ easy walk of the Centre.
N.B. Our calendar only shows the course start date; each course runs for 3 consecutive days.
Alternatively, please call 0845 223 4455 for more information or to book your place.
The National Self Build and Renovation Centre (NSBRC) in Swindon is the UK’s only permanent exhibition centre for self build, renovation and home improvements.
Lydiard Fields, Great Western Way, Swindon, SN5 8UB
W: View website
E: firstname.lastname@example.org T: 0345 223 4455