Black Nova Designs (NEW 2024 Leaderboard Ad)

Let's Talk

Your Total Guide To Business

Bowman House (Business Sponsor)

What is a House in Multiple Occupancy (HMO)?#AskAMS

HMRC’s definition is “a property rented out by at least 3 people who are not from 1 ‘household’ (for example a family) but share facilities like the bathroom and kitchen”.

It is sometimes called a ‘house share’. Common examples of HMOs are student accommodation and long-term accommodation for employees paid for by the employer.

‘Large’ HMOs are defined as:

  • Being rented to 5+ people forming at least 2 households. (e.g. 2 families of 3 each)
  • Some or all tenants share toilet, bathroom or kitchen facilities.
  • At least 1 tenant (or their employer) pays rent.

Do I need to tell anyone I plan on letting an HMO?

If the property is in England or Wales, you need to check if you need to apply for a licence. If you are planning to let a large HMO then you need to apply and pay for a licence before you start letting. If it is a non-large HMO, then you should check if you need a licence as not all councils will require one. You can do this using the government’s online checker: The rules are different for each local council.

In Scotland and Northern Ireland, you need a licence no matter what size HMO you are letting.

How do I apply for a licence and how long do they last for?

You need a separate HMO licence for each applicable HMO you are letting - and they last for a maximum of 5 years. You must renew your licence every 5 years.

Using the government’s postcode checker should take you to the correct page on your local council’s website on how to apply:

To be able to apply for a licence, you must:

  • Ensure that the house is suitable for the number of occupants you plan to have in both size and facilities available.
  • Ensure that you, or a management company, are ‘fit and proper’, with no criminal record or breaches of landlord laws.
  • Send the council an annual gas safety certificate
  • Send safety certificates for all electrical appliances provided for use in the property, if requested
  • Ensure smoke alarms are installed and working

AMS Accountancy Swindon and Wiltshire

AMS Accountancy Ltd

AMS Accountants in Swindon provide a complete accountancy service for small businesses in Wiltshire and a monthly accountancy service for contractors throughout the UK.

Delta 606, Welton Road, Swindon, SN5 7XF

Bowman House (NEW - Animated Ad)
NSBRC Generic (Animated Ad)
Black Nova Designs (NEW Animated Ad for 2024)
Dayfold Print (Animated Ad)
Future Planning
Steilea (Animated Ad)
Fiona Scott Media Consultancy

We recommend

GEL Studios
Lydiard Park Hotel & Conference Centre (Animated Ad)
TBN (July Leaderboard Ad for Sept Event)

Weather in Swindon