Bowman House (Leaderboard)

Let's Talk

Your Total Guide To Business

Bowman House (Business Sponsor)

Buying a property with your wife/partner to rent it out? Think it through first. #AskAMS

If you are buying a property with your wife/partner to rent out there are 2 ways to jointly own a property.

There are two ways to jointly own or buy a property

Joint Tenants: If you are in a marriage or stable relationship, then buying as Joint Tenants is probably fine.  With this method, you own the property jointly, you split income and costs equally and, on the death of one owner, the other owner automatically inherits the deceased person’s share of the property.  This is the most common way married couples own their family home. 

Tenants In Common: If you are in a relationship that has yet to be shown to be stable or long-term, then buying a property as Tenants In Common might be better.  This way you each own an individual share of the property, which you can theoretically sell to a third party without the agreement of the other owner (although any mortgage lender may have to be satisfied).  Also, if one of you dies, your Estate inherits your share of the property – not the other owner.

For buy-to-let properties, buying as Tenants In Common will generally allow couples to buy/own the property in the most tax efficient proportion – directing rental income to the lower earning person.  However, any later change to the ownership proportion, could create a sale for Capital Gains Tax purposes.  For married couples this is not a concern, but for unmarried couples this should not be done lightly.  A solicitor will need to draft a Declaration of Trust to document the ownership split, and a form 17 has to be completed and submitted to HMRC within 60 days as part of this process.

If couples buy a property as Joint Tenants – and subsequently wish they owned it as Tenants In Common - a solicitor can make this happen.

AMS Accountancy Swindon and Wiltshire

AMS Accountancy Ltd

AMS Accountants in Swindon provide a complete accountancy service for small businesses in Wiltshire and a monthly accountancy service for contractors throughout the UK.

Delta 606, Welton Road, Swindon, SN5 7XF

Bowman House (Animated Ad)
Black Nova Designs
Eight Interactive (Animated Ad)
Green Labyrinth
PDQ 4 You Animated Ad
Fraser Allen Estate Management (Animated Ad)
GEL Studios
Fiona Scott Media Consultancy
Antony Aslan Animated Ad
NSBRC (Business Leaderboard Ad)

Weather in Swindon